The following articles are written by and copyright © Zero Dean.
Special thanks from the author: I would like to give special thanks and credit to Hollywood casting director, Bonnie Gillespie, for inspiring my first articles on headshots as well as her generous sharing of information and insight into the world of headshots from a casting director’s perspective. For more headshots related goodness, please be sure to see her headshots columns at Showfax, including, “Bad Headshots, Good Headshots” and “Bad Headshots, Good Headshots II“.
All About Headshots
- What is a Headshot? The Basics.
- What makes a great headshot?
- When should you update your headshot?
- How much do headshots cost?
- Why hiring a professional headshots photographer matters.
- How to find a good headshots photographer.
- How to choose a good headshots photographer.
- Do you need a hair stylist for headshots?
- Do you need a make-up artist for your headshots?
- How to prepare for your headshots photo shoot.
- What to wear for your headshots shoot.
- How to print your headshots: In color or black & white, with borders or without?
- Where to get headshot critiques and feedback?
- Is it ok to get your headshots retouched?
- What is the difference between model headshots and actor headshots?
- Why good photos are important
- Modeling as a business. Why you should invest in yourself.
- Only the strong models survive.
- Why modeling involves more than just good looks.
- Don’t be a flaky model. Why your reputation is important.
- What you should be doing to make the most of your modeling career.
- Who owns your photos? What you should know about copyright.
- Modeling Terms
- What models should know about modeling agencies.
- What models should know about contracts and model releases
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
More Advice for Models
- Advice for Models (Author’s Note)
- Why models should be selective about who they shoot with.
- Why models should set high standards and maintain them.
- Why you should not treat your modeling portfolio like a scrapbook
- Why you should keep your modeling ego in check.
- Why having some modeling experience is not the same as being a professional model
- Why a model shouldn’t take their online photo feedback seriously.
Photo Shoot Preparation
- Info for New Models & First-timers
- How to prepare for your photo shoot
- What to Bring to a Photo Shoot
- Ideas for photos & photo shoots
- Bringing an escort to your photo shoot
- Make-up artists at your photo shoot.
- What to Expect At Your Photo Shoot With Zero Dean
- Photo shoot locations
- Model Releases
- What can you expect after your photo shoot?
- How to learn model poses and facial expressions
Working with Photographers
- What aspiring models should look for in photographers
- What you should do before working with a new photographer.
- How to pick a good photographer to work with.
- Questions that models should ask photographers.
- What to look for in a photographer’s work. What makes a photo “good”?
- Is every person who claims to be a “model” or “photographer” a model or photographer?
- Why you shouldn’t choose a photographer based on the quality of their website.
Exposing Headshot Photographer Marketing Strategies
How to avoid being manipulated into working with a headshot photographer based on clever marketing tricks rather than the quality of their work and services.
- The photographer claims that studio headshots are better than natural light headshots.
- The photographer claims to have a totally unique “process” to create headshots.
- They imply that not working with them could jeopardize your acting career.
- The headshot photographer claims that their headshots will get you work.
- The photographer highlights the fact that they’ve worked with celebrities.
- The headshot photographer claims to know casting directors who love their work.
- The photographer has been featured in the media.
- The photographer claims that professionals are the only ones who can get your headshots done right.
- The headshot photographer charges a premium price, but “isn’t your career worth it?”